According to EBAN (The European Trade Association for Business Angels), only 10% of potential European angel investors are actively investing in start-ups. We believe transparency, experience sharing and hands-on training will motivate executives, entrepreneurs and finance professionals to become active angels. Our goal is to motivate investors throughout Europe to become active angel investors thus supporting the European Start-up ecosystem, building companies and creating jobs. We will achieve this goal by reducing the barriers that prevent them from becoming angel investors.
Resources for Business Angels
- Axel Springer Plug&Play Accelerator serves as a booster for new ventures & provides immediate access to a sophisticated network and global infrastructure.
- Bayer HealthCare CoLaborator – The new CoLaborator incubator (similar to the one already set up in San Francisco) will be located close to Bayer’s own R&D Centre in Wedding, Berlin, but in a separate building with office and laboratory space for up to ten startups. As we’d expect, Bayer HealthCare (a subgroup of Bayer AG) is interested in supporting startups working in complimentary areas to its own research and development.
- Berlin Startup Academy – BSA provides a pool of experience and practical help that enables new founders to start their businessavoiding the mistakes that kill many startup.
- Centre for Entrepreneurship / TU Berlin – University of Technology combines expertise from research, education and start-up support. Thus a start-up one-stop shop is established: the Centre for Entrepreneurship. Here all stakeholders concerning entrepreneurship meet in a highly developed network including members of university, alumni founders, teachers, investors, business angels and more. The Centre for Entrepreneurship of TU Berlin is headed by Prof. Dr. Jan Kratzer, Department of „Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management“, and Agnes von Matuschka, Director of TU-start-up service. The German Ministry of Economics awarded TU Berlin with the distinct honor of the designation of „EXIST Founders University“.
- Entrepreneurs Club Berlin e.V. is a not-for-profit organization pursuing the goal of a vibrant entrepreneurial culture in Berlin, promoting collaborative learning and a positive business image for startups. It stands as a partner for founders on bi-partisan political issues (www.entrepreneursclub.de) and organizes a range of events for founders and entrepreneurs including Startup Camp Berlin, FailCon, Pitch Marathon and Startup Lounge. It is supported by the Bundesverband Deutsche Startups e.V. (German Startups Association (www.germanstartups.org), a non-profit representative organization for start-ups in Germany, committed to establishing a founder-friendly environment and opening up a dialogue with decision-makers in politics to help encourage a culture of self-employment and reduce the barriers to starting a business.
- Project Flying Elephant is a deep tech incubator by WestTech Ventures looking for strong tech teams who want to reinvent software & software development with a focus on (cloud) services / tools for developers and businesses. Project Flying Elephant has opened applications for its program in Berlin starting in September that will support teams with up to €50,000 in funding as well mentoring, workshops, office space and various high-quality services. Apply now for September!
- StartupBootcamp Berlin – Founded in 2010, Startupbootcamp is Europe’s leading start-up accelerator with a mentor and alumni network from 30+ countries across the globe. The program offers start-ups access to world-class industry expertise during an intensive three-month program. At the end of the program, start-ups pitch at Demo Day to more than 150 investors. Programs are currently active in Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Dublin, Eindhoven, Tel Aviv and Haifa (Israel) and Istanbul, with other cities and vertical programs to be announced soon.
- “There is always money” – your guide to public funding for Berlin startups
- EVCA Investor Search provides a searchable investor database by name, country, investment stage or sector.
- Horizon 2020 is the EU Research and Innovation program with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020) – in addition to the private investment that this money will attract. It promises more breakthroughs, discoveries and world-firsts by taking great ideas from the lab to the market.
- indiegogo.com – Indiegogo is an international crowdfunding site where anyone can raise money for film, music, art, charity, small businesses, gaming, theater, and more.
- kickstarter.com – Kickstarter is the world’s largest funding platform for creative projects.
- kiva.org – Make a loan to an entrepreneur across the globe for as little as $25. Kiva is the world’s first online lending platform connecting online lenders to entrepreneurs across the globe.
- rockethub.com – International, pioneering, open community that has helped thousands of artists, scientists, entrepreneurs, and social leaders raise millions of dollars.
- Start-Up Investors Manifesto – A brief guide to grow early stage investment to €15 billion and generate 1.5 million new jobs by 2017
- The New EU Funding Scheme for Startups and SMEs: Q&A With Steve Rogers
Found Fair Ventures – FOUND FAIR is a co-founder of online start-ups. We follow ventures from idea to exit with intense hands-on support, experience and network.
German Startups Group – German Start-ups Group is a venture capital provider that backs start-ups from Berlin’s “Silicon Allee” and from around Germany. In accordance with the statement “smart, fast, and friendly money”, German Start-ups Group fills the gap between business angels and traditional VC investors.
hub:raum – hub:raum is a startup incubator run by Deutsche Telekom. Hub:raum, located near on Andreasstrasse near Ostbahnhof, will focus on telecommunications, Internet services and digital media. Deutsche Telekom’s Min-Kim Mak and Peter Borchers (pictured) will lead the project, which will offer partner companies access to expert mentors, an extensive distribution network, infrastructure expertise and up to €300,000 in seed funding.
Team Europe Management – We are a group of successful Internet Entrepreneurs. The companies founded by Team Europe have created hundreds of jobs in the last years and have received many industry awards.
YOU IS NOW Startup-Incubator – YOU IS NOW supports founders and entrepreneurs in the realization of their business ideas around real estate, mobile and social media.
Social Media –
- High Above the Clouds – News and more from the European Angel Community.
- Naked Angel Club – Business Angel Club reloaded.
Term Sheets & Documentation
- Open Sourced Model Seed Financing Documents – Please feel free to use these documents, but please do so responsibly only after retaining your own legal counsel. Don’t use these documents blindly. All of the figures in them are made up, and are not necessarily accurate or consistent. We’ve made best efforts to call out the places that need to be edited based on the situation using brackets. But still, using these documents for a real financing and without good legal advice is just plain foolish. Think of them as a good starting point that can save you some time and money.
- Passion Capital’s Plain English Term Sheet (.pdf): A term sheet with explanations that are easily understandable.